Tuesday 26 January 2016

Ode or Verse to Spendthrift Grannies

Ode or Verse to Spendthrift Grannies
     by The Same

some people are careful
don't spend a thing
hand over more than they take
sowhen a beggar comes round
withis sweet humble sounds
theywill pass to him money
theyreally don't have
youknow
they'llgive whattheydont really have

whoknows but that these'llget all liquoredanddown
or fill up their veins and hope somedaytodrown
undersomebridge they'll sleep nights ontheground
with norunningwater nostove and nofridge
that'show beggars live 
and howtheymakedo
don't you know
nonconsumers they liveandmakedo

if some people care
put their money in the bank
though they spend lots of it foolishly
there are others who consume it
like it's water from a well
on nearly all the whole world's merchants sell
don't you know
purchase two of everything that they sell

they'd be far better off
somnolent liquored down
or filling up their brittle veins 
and getting drowned
just go live under a bridge
don't bother buying that new fridge
it's not the worst thing that a foolish man might do
don't you know
it's not the worst thing for a profligate like you

then there's a gentleman like me
almost blind can barely see
and I spend whatever I get it's not a lot
if a tramp should come around
I wouldn't smile nor would I frown
but I'd go with him to see how that one lived
don't you know
and then I'd either hold it back or I would give

I might be better off
druggéd up or liquored down
filling up my little veins and getting drowned
or underneath a bridge
with no water stove or fridge
t'wouldn't be the very worst thing I could do
don't you know
can think of lots of worse things I might do


 


No comments:

Post a Comment