Saturday 1 December 2012

Lucy Maude Montgomery's Redress


Lucy Maude Montgomery's Redress

       by Little Dempsey Douglas Leigh


fight if you must.
but don't be afraid
in god we trust
expect getting laid.
if ever you're in a
rough spot with a maid.
give er your best,
no regrets that you played.


lucy maude montgomery lived life to the full
she did things like visit a grand tractor pull
she blessed birds and fishes when they would swim by
though in straightened times she would let curses fly
now lucy you don't know was quite raving gay
she looked for alliances all on life's way
with both girls and with women she spent time in bed
denouncing in daytime what people had said
she asked only comfort from those who passed by
unless you were male then "get lost and good-by"
once when she went walking along a post road
a dog up and nipped her on her nether clod
she got sick and died then a year after that
but in her last months she made use of her
she was not diseased that is known for a fact
she held up her end of the lesbian pact
once in a great tryst while three ladies stood near
she played with another and made eyes at her rear
they say she is resting in heaven above
they say too this femin was never in love
do not you believe everything that is said
take asprin take whiskey and get back in bed

don't fight when you're angry
don't fight when you're sad
don't fight if you're sick
and naught's nis worth a tad
be cautious of filling
your void with a fling
the woman will get you
and make you sing sing
refuse to be given
a problem to solve
though it may be tempting
give up playing golf
if ever you're by here
stop in for a beer
the fridge runs as coldly
as it did last year

nixon dixy was a putz
nixon raised two kinds of ducks
mrs dixy called him daft
she was not that great herself
put up if you think that you must
but remember him we trust
he will all your sorrows share
don't put devil to dare
when i smoked weed as willie does
i thought i had is cut from was
but now that i have stopped that vice
i treat the world most quaint and nice
the other day a friend asked for
a key to get in my front door
when i'm not home
                                  i gave him one
and then he started having fun
he got in when i'd gone away
and asked my wife if she would play
at doctor and at nurse with him
she smiled and said it was a sin
but not for long she got caught up
in the whole thing and nup
tuals be damned she said
my friend progressed to other things
and now i have no wedding rings
i have no car i have no dog
i have no girlfriend i'm a log
so if you think you've got a line
on what is good and fair you're lying

Some people, especially the rich and privileged, must have scads of relatives they've never seen, I would think. I am a singer, who plays guitar in the style of Smiley from Reno and Smiley. My stage name is Jammin' Uncle Benjamin and I get a kick out of the crowd's laughter when I am announced. I am slightly overweight and you should know that I have a fondness for ice cream and bananas. Each night my good wife, Enid, makes me a bowl of it and I eat it down. That is, after my practice or after a gig. I seldom go to bed without some of that precious dessert. Enid thinks that I'm getting a bit thick in the waist, but lord knows that most guitar players in their sixties tend to be a tad paunchy. It helps hold up the guitar, you know, a nice round midriff does. Enid, now, has not got an ounce of fat on her, so to speak. She looks as trim as the day I met her fourteen years ago. She was thirteen and eloped with me and married me and we have lived together ever after. Sure, a few hard times in the early years, because at thirteen an individual does not know her mind. Well, she knows it, but does not wish to admit that someone else may know it, too. She was awful willful in those days. A good-looking, sassy thing whose parents had spoiled her rotten. She was crazy about my music, though, and that was why she stuck with me. I love her very much still, though I must admit that worry about other men has knocked the wind out of me more than once. Well, I was going to say that her relatives come to call now about once a year. Not all of them at the same time, of course. No, a brother-in-law will come with his wife and family, or a nephew a half year later. And then an uncle and aunt will appear the following summer and stay a week. It's odd how those mountain folk are. I grew up in the Pembina Hills, Manitoba, and she is from Tennessee. Back in the hills, she likes to say.The folk who show up here to check on her are an odd breed. They're taciturn, tough, silent types, the men. The women are quite different.





No comments:

Post a Comment