Thursday 27 December 2012

My Eighteen-Foot Starcraft


My Eighteen-Foot Starcraft

       by Duggles

if evers you feel lonely
if evers you feel blue
if evers you would only . . .
there's only one of you

"Sweeter than all the world." Who in all the world, I asked myself one morning, would come up with foolishness like that? I asked myself this as I handled my daughter's laundry. I was folding it because it had been left on the spare bed. I had been restless in the night and finally risen and brought my bedding to the spare room. There were stacks of laundry on it, folded. I estimated there to have been twenty plus piles. It was too dark to see them but I could tell by the time it took to throw them off the bed into the corner. I put her jeans on four stacks, her blankets on three piles, her shirts on six piles, her various tops and tanks on six piles, her towels and linens on eight piles, her panties and bras on two piles, her socks on another big pile and so on. It took an hour to fold it all, maybe more. She lived downtown, five miles away, and had gone home on her bike with her daughter yesterday just before dark. I would need to bring these to the car and deliver them.
       She has had six serious boyfriends since she was eighteen. Now she is twenty-six. They are always young men who have part time work. They work on construction during the summer months from April to October or November and go on pogey from November to March. They go to Guatemala or Honduras for the winter months and have friends at home send in their UI claims. They learn to snorkel when they are there. They know the names of the beer available in South America and Central America. They do not know the names there of cities, hills, ranges, cars, families (though I wish to be careful not to vilify them), buildings, politicians, train routes, ships, bays, islands, books, authors, paintings, artists, underwear, clothing lines, shells, roadways, restaurants, bordellos, ice-cream, or churches.
       One was a body builder who stayed at my house once for four nights even though I told him when he arrived from Missouri that he could not be here in the morning when I woke. Another talked slowly and made you listen much longer than you would like to by working successfully the pace of his words and the steadiness of his gaze at your eyes. The third one, a little man with narrow shoulders and a massive beard, read the papers a great deal. You could find him with his face in a newspaper at twelve noon, at two p.m., at four p.m., at six p.m., at eight p.m., at eleven p.m., and at one a.m. Number five did marijuana frequently and was quite loud. He drank a lot of beer and wine. He engaged me in strong conversations without patience or listening built into them but full of bravado. He wanted to be loved and admired. All of them smoked cigarettes.
       I love her little daughter. She is a sweet girl. She has blonde hair, quite wispy and fine. The other day, when her mother said, "Let's cut your hair," she cried loudly, loudly and with vigor, and sounded terrified. I was in the bathroom shaving and called out to her what was the matter. She just cried some more so I went to the living room where she was sitting at the dining room table with her head on her arms, sobbing. When I asked what was wrong she cried even louder and said that mommy wanted to cut her hair. I held her and stroked her hair and said no, it was fine. I did not think mommy would cut it. She was just teasing, I said. My daughter told me that she was not really serious but didn't know what to do about the stain she had got in it and it was sticky and clumped. My daughter has raised her very well. The little one has quite a temper and if it had been me raising her I am afraid that I would have resorted to hitting sometimes, to my shame. Certainly yelling, and probably a little shaking. But my daughter doesn't hit or shake. She does not even yell. She hardly raises her voice but somehow, often by stern tones and certainty of purpose, gets the little one to obey, even if it meant, in the early years, a dreadful tantrum that left me running for the door to get outside and go for a walk till it blew over. Yes, my daughter is exceptional at raising her girl and being good to her.
       My wife works in another town and comes home Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights. She drives her Accord, though sometimes she commutes with a carpool. She and I have found ourselves speaking less over the last five years. She can speak more easily with friends and acquaintances than with me. I can speak more easily with people who are not close to me than I can with her. When you love someone, I think, you converse with difficulty. She does the laundry and I do the dishes. That is our work-sharing system. I build fences, check oil in vehicles, keep tires secure and filled, do house repairs and such. She cleans, makes food, organizes the division of labor around the house, and generally is the domestic general contractor in our domicile. We live at 679 Niagara Street. You can tell the place by a large ugly, too-old evergreen in the front yard, reddish-brown brick on the corner of the street entrance, a Honda with rust spots and two missing hubcaps and a high planter out front. The neighbors have two dogs and one of them barks. I don't want to start a feud with them. The other neighbor is a widow of seventy who got us to give her a part of our ally way dirt space right up against the garage when we first moved here three years ago. She came the first week and outright asked for it. We did not know her well or any of the neighbors and wanted to fit in so we gave it to her. My wife wishes she had it back to plant rhubarb in.
       I am in the process of changing the plumbing in our house. It is galvanized and cast steel and needs to be upgraded for sanitary reasons. I intend to go back to work on that when this piece of reflection is finished. My son has moved home again. He works for a landscaper who is not around much and so does not require him to be there at given hours. At least, he cannot check if he is working. My son has slept in again this morning. It is getting on toward ten o'clock and he is supposed to start at eight. In Kenora, K-Sport is putting a new ninety-horse Honda outboard on my eighteen foot Starcraft. It is very exciting for me. I feel tingly inside like a little kid.  

No comments:

Post a Comment