Sunday 24 April 2022

 Aging Mothers
     By Dougie Waves Goodbye

Chorus
     F.                              C
     Just now as I’m recalling
     F.                                C
     My mother when she died
     F.                          C
     I have a sudden wish
     C.                     C.                         Em
     That she was standing by my side
     C.               G.        C
     Breathing by my side




C.                       G
Pictures of my mother come
C.                         G
To memory as I wait
C.                     G
4 o’clock just home from school
C.                                       Em
I’d see her through the gate
C                     G            C
Through the garden gate

Her back all bent and hoe in hand
She’d work a row of beets,
An old dress on of dirty white
And slippers on her feet
On her aching feet

Once when the censor came around
She mentioned all our names
But when it came to Rudy’s turn
She couldn’t do the same
Calling, “Rudi, what’s your name? “

Chorus

She’d get us up at 5 o’clock
And in the dusty Ford
Muddy hoes and sugar beets
And children praise the Lord,
Oh!  we’re lucky praise the Lord!

The whole shebang off to BC
Who knew where we would stay
A month of bread and pork and beans
We’d work to pay the way
Picking berries every day

Chorus

Father worked late every day
And through the raging snow
Mother at the window pane
Praying he’d come home
Midnight thinking he’d be gone

Chorus

“My son, my son, what have you done? “
She’d  sometimes say of mine
When she caught me smoking pipe
Or found my hidden wine, 
Her preserves into wine

When you were born she often said
Sun lay in the room
So thick and warm and plentiful
I had a blessed womb
You blessed your mother’s womb

Chorus

1000 stories I could tell 
of mother’s oddest ways
I leave her to the Lord she loved
In Beulah land she lays
I’m sure there she still prays

Chorus


                                                                  2006?

       


No comments:

Post a Comment